Health Law Certificate
The health law certificate program fosters the knowledge, skills, and values that the contemporary health lawyer needs in rapidly-changing environments. Using the health law field as a lens, students learn how to apply foundational legal concepts in diverse health settings. Our core health law courses, electives, and experiential learning opportunities enrich our students’ understanding of how law plays a pivotal role in ensuring health and access to health care. Our program prepares students for successful careers as well-rounded, problem-solving lawyers who can adapt to 21st-century challenges.
The certificate program prepares law students to enter the highly diverse and challenging health law field. We welcome your participation in our program. While many students participating in the certificate program may have a specific health law career goal in mind, you will find the core competencies developed through the program apply to a wide range of health law settings and topics, as well as to other legal fields.
Benefits of earning a certificate in health law
The certificate program offers a strong program of faculty advisement and curriculum planning for a coherent, integrated, and progressive course of study in health law. The benefits of pursuing a certificate include:
- Preparation for practice: The certificate program is designed to expose students to the foundations of health law and ensure familiarity with key concepts, laws, policies, institutions, skills, and values in the health law field.
- Faculty advisement and curriculum guidance: Faculty advisors in health law are assigned to every student who is enrolled in the certificate program. They can assist students in designing course packages in health law and from the JD program generally that match the students’ intellectual and employment interests. They also can provide guidance on career paths and suggest opportunities for future professional development, such as fellowships in health law.
- Exposure to interdisciplinary education: The certificate program offers a foundation for pursuing interdisciplinary programs with our academic partners at Emory University, the Georgia Institute of Technology, and Morehouse School of Medicine. It also provides a foundation for pursuing joint-degree opportunities with Georgia State’s Institute of Health Administration. For information about the JD/MSHA and JD/MBA/MHA programs, click here.
- Integrated learning: The certificate program offers students the opportunity for integrated learning by building and reinforcing the basics as they progress through required and elective courses and by offering opportunities to blend theory and practice in health law.
- Transferability and adaptability: The core competencies developed in the health law certificate program are readily transferable to other legal fields. The health field simply serves as the lens and context for developing these competencies. Earning a certificate in health law does not limit you to working in the health law field in the future. Rather, it can promote your resourcefulness and your ability to adapt successfully to rapidly changing legal, political, social, technological, and global environments.